History

The history of Confiserie Brändli is a Swiss family story and goes back a long way. It all began over 120 years ago with Arnold and Anna Brändli and a bakery in Lenzburg – an idyllic little town not far from Zürich. The Brändli family has followed its traditions devotedly and expanded them over the years.

2016

Our famous Brändli Bomb is available at the Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe) in Berlin, Germany, and at Globus ***delicatessa in Zurich, Bern, Basel, Lucerne and Wallisellen as well as at Loeb Lebensmittel in Bern

2015

The Confiserie Brändli presents a new look. The new logo is a modernised form of the old one used until the 1950s – the wonderful handwriting of Miggi, the great and great, great aunt of today’s managers.

Opening of our webshop.

2014

The Brändli Bomb celebrates its 90th birthday.

Dominik, Alexandra and Philippe Brändli, the 5th generation of the Brändli family, join the board of administration and management. Thus the great, great grandchildren of founders Arnold and Anna Brändli now have the reponsibility for the Swiss family business, together with Mark Brändli. The daily business will continue to be conducted by Rita and Mark Brändli.

Today's management. From left to right: Mark, Alexandra, Rita, Philippe and Dominik Brändli.

Andreas Gehring and Katharina Hagenauer have resigned after 20 years on the board, Nik Brändli after 11 years.

ooperation with the independent company Brändli Basel, founded by Ernst Brändli’s brother Hans and his wife in 1935, has been re-established. We supply each other with our core products.

2013

Opening of an outside café in Olten.

2005

Opening of the new, larger sales outlet with Tea Room in the Kirchgasse, Olten.

2004

Expansion of production premises. Move from Bahnhofstrasse to Mühlemattstrasse in Aarau.

2003

Death of Esther Gehring-Brändli. Transfer of the business to the 4th generation. Nik and Mark Brändli, great grandchildren of founders Arnold and Anna, and their wives José and Rita, run the business.

1995

Andreas Gehring and Peter Isler, both great grandchildren of the founders, together with Katharina Hagenauer and Max Bucher form the new board of administration. Mario Monaco takes over the management.

H M Queen Mother talking to the papal nuncio Dr. Heim. The Queen Mum was a loyal customer of our house for many years. As can be seen our Brändli Bombs were served generously for the royal afternoon tea.
1978

The business premises in the Bahnhofstrasse Aarau are renovated.

1973

Death of Martha Brändli. The business is taken over by the 3rd generation. Another woman plays a formative role over 3 decades: Esther Gehring-Brändli. She too was widowed early and a single parent of 3 boys while managing the business.

1961

Opening of the 2nd branch in the Vorderen Vorstadt in Aarau.

House delivery in 1960.
1958

Expansion to Olten with the 1st branch opening in Baslerstrasse.

1955

Launching of Petits Feux, a delicately melting chocolate composition.

1942

The origin of our Tea Room in Aarau. Martha Brändli turns the coffee lounge on the first floor into a modern British-style Tea Room.

Today’s headquarters around 1940.
1939

Death of Ernst Brändli at the early age of 42. His wife Martha manages the company with around 25 employees, vigilantly and with innovative energy for the next 3 decades and brings up 3 children at the same time.

Production personnel and sales assistant around 1930.
1924
The Brändli Bomb.

The invention of the Brändli Bomb: a chocolate speciality with marzipan and almond splinters. The Brändli Bomb becomes a symbol of relish and quality from the House of Brändli which becomes renowned far outside the region.

Ernst and Martha Brändli-Margot.
1922

Ernst and his wife Martha acquire the premises of today’s headquarters in the Bahnhofstrasse, Aarau, to open a confectionary and cake shop with coffee lounge.

Today’s headquarters around 1920Sales personnel around 1920
1918

The eldest son Ernst takes over the firm. More emphasis is placed on producing confectionary and chocolate products.

1904

Move to the upcoming Gönhard quarter of Aarau. Arnold and Anna place the foundation stone for their future success with their modern bakery and win major customers with the cantonal hospital and the army barracks in Aarau.

1902

Relocation of the business to Aarau. The Brändli family take over an existing bakery in the Oberen Vorstadt.

1893
Founders Arnold and Anna Brändli-Ehrismann.

Our family tradition begins: Arnold und Anna Brändli, the great and great, great grandparents of today’s management board, open a bakery with inn in Lenzburg.